Monday, February 3, 2014

February Currently

This morning I am linking up with Farley at Oh Boy 4th Grade for her monthly Currently Linky.  As I was working on this, I realized I hadn't done one of these in a really long time!  I really had to think about my answers!

Listening:  My two boys have started begging me to take them to the new movie "Mr. Peabody & Sherman".  One of the previews uses this song and I have been humming it ALL weekend!  

Loving:  I just started a new book series called "birthmarked".  I began the first book last night and I had to force myself to go to bed once the clock showed 12:00.  Birthmarked is a story of a dystopian/eutopian society where midwives help deliver newborns of mothers from the slums and hand them over to the wealthy and privileged on the other side of the wall. 

Thinking:  My small town of 1,000 people is reeling after the sudden loss of two of its members.  The first was a former classmate of mine.  He was a kind and gentle man who will be greatly missed.  I had the honor of teaching his step-daughter, whom he loved as dearly as if she were his own.  
The second loss was the father of another former student of mine.  He was killed in a snowmobiling accident.  His wife used to work in our school district so many of the teachers here knew him personally.  He leaves behind a wife and two children.

Wanting:  Well, duh!  Here in Illinois I have come to accept that the winters are cold and harsh.  But I could do with a tiny warm-up.  We have not had a full week of school since we returned from Christmas break!  Either extreme sub-zero temps or inches and inches of snow have kept us away!  I'm not asking for the tropics but c'mon!

Needing:  Last year I discovered winter sowing and it worked out so well for my garden last year that I need to get it going again.  Winter sowing consists of planting seeds in small containers like milk jugs or rotisserie chicken containers and setting them outside to germinate.  And yes, you set them outside in the freezing temperatures of January and February.  The semi-sealed containers act like a greenhouse.  By the time you are ready to plant your garden, the seedlings are already hardened off to the cold and ready to plant a least 3 weeks sooner than if you had started the seeds in the garden.  

2 Truths & A Fib:  I think I'm going to keep this one a mystery.........

~Stacy

4 comments:

  1. I agree about the weather (and I am a fellow Illinois-an!). Also, that book sounds interesting…I may have to get that on my new kindle!! Hailey from Autism Tank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hailey,
      Hello for Northwest Illinois! I've been really interested in futuristic post-apocalytic fiction for awhile. I've burned through The Hunger Games (three time now), Matched, Divergent.... You name it, I've read it. This new series has promise.
      Thanks for stopping by!
      Stacy

      Delete
  2. Wow! I can't believe you have had so many disruptions/snow days since Christmas! How do you manage to plan when there are so many days off? Hang in there, and let's hope Spring comes soon!

    -Liz
    http://thehappyteachertpt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz,
      Thanks for stopping by! I just plan what I can, and then just keep pushing it back. Right now we will be in attendance through the first week in June. Our district alternates between taking the days from Spring Break or the end of the year. Thankfully, we only need to pay pack the first 5 days, then the rest are called "An act of God". With the weather turning sour again this week, we'll be onto day 7. We'll see!
      Stacy

      Delete