Thursday, May 9, 2013

Re-Work It and Oh, Boy! New Stuff!

 
I'm linking up with Mel at the Frogspot again for her Re-Work It Wednesday linky.  Last week I shared my "Thanksgiving on Thursday" unit.  You can read that post here.  I finally got the updated version posted at my TpT store so be sure to head over there to check it out!
 
Instead of one of my products, I have decided to re-work my classroom.  I've been teaching in this room for 7 years and I am growing a bit tired of the view.  I'm a BIG follower of Pinterest and I've seen some UBER-CUTE classrooms that are color-coordinated.  So I'm taking the plunge. 
 
 
I'm starting with the color scheme.  I recently came across this color combination and fell in love with it: Red and Turquoise!

I found some great decor at Oriental Trading.  Here I have some red chevron chinese lanterns, turquoise polka dot fans, red striped and polka dot pennant banners, turquoise striped and polka dot pennant banners, and red tissue balls.
I also plan to make some curtains that will compliment this new scheme.
 
 
Now here is the biggie!  I'm changing over to tables instead of indvidual desks!
I found these 30"x60" work tables at School Outfitters for an incredible price.  A single student desk is half the price of these tables and these will seat up to 6!
 
Now, I teach 2nd grade, so there are a lot of supplies that come along with the students.  In addition to text books, we also have art boxes, rulers, pencils, glue, scissors, folders, notebooks . . . You know what I'm saying.  I spotted a  great solution on Pinterest: 
Ameriwood 3-Shelf Bookcases, Set of 2 (Mix and Match)
Each table would get its own bookshelf.  These I found at Walmart.com and they come in 4 different colors.  I'm thinking about getting them in white to go along with my color scheme better but I think black will hide the dirt better.  What do you think?
 
These shelves will hold all of the books and bins of the students sitting at that table.  Every day, there will be a "Table Manager" who will be in charge of handing out books or other supplies.  I'm even considering giving each bookshelf its own pencil sharpener.  These from Classroom Friendly Supplies would work perfectly!
  Firehouse RedCool Blue
  I still plan on keeping my rainbow-colored supply bins for the tops of the tables.  These have been such a time-saver.  Students don't need to dig through their desks to get an important supply and everything is communal.
 
 
So that's it!  I'll be posting photos of the new set-up once I get it done!  Perhaps I'll even get the walls painted . . . . Hhmmmmmmmmmm?!?!?!
 
  
 
And of course I made a few purchases from TpT's Teacher Appreciation Sale.  I'm linking up with Blog Hoppin to share what I bought!
 
My Plant Observation Journal {and other plant activities}
First, I bought Leanne Prince's My Plant Observation Journal {and other activties}.  This will go perfect with my gardening unit.  I just wish I had found it sooner! I could have used it this year! 
 
 
2nd Grade Common Core BUNDLE
Next, I bought The Teacher's Cauldron's Second Grade Common Core Bundle. This bundle includes a Common Core gradebook and statements.  This is an amazing set and I hope it will streamline my lesson planning!
  
  
Common Core State Standards ELA Pacing Guides for Grades K-5
 
Third, I visited Charity Preston's store and picked up her Pacing Guides.   The Common Core can be daunting, at times.  I hope this ELA pacing guide will keep me on track next year! 
 
 
 
Revolutionary war bundle by melonheadz
 
Finally, I just COULDN'T leave without getting something from Melonheadz!  I've had my eye on these for awhile and the prices were just too good to resist!
 
Link back up with Frog Spot and Blog Hoppin to share your great ideas!
 
~Stacy
 

5 comments:

  1. I love that you have created your own background paper for your blog! That is incredible! I also love that you are planning for next year. I love the turquoise and red! I am already thinking of next fall too. I found some navy and white chevron material that I fell in love with, which I think I am going to mix with shades of green! I love the idea of those tables! That would make my life so much easier. I am going to check those out. We also use seat pockets and those help A LOT! So glad I found your blog through the link up. I love finding second grade blogs to follow!
    thatroomwithheidiharrell.blogspot.com/
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi,
    I can't take credit for the background. That was done by Mel at From the Pond. Her link is in the sidebar. I've been wanting to make a change in my classroom for while now, so I figured it was time to just do it! I've used chair bags in the past, but the bags got accidentally thrown away one year and I never got back to them.
    I'm sorry if you weren't able to follow me. I've been having issues with the "Follow Me" button not showing up. Check back often to see if it's available. I'm heading over to yours!

    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to be able to switch to tables!! Our building is pretty strict about that stuff. Only kinder gets tables.

    Ms. Cranfill's Class is Having a Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Mel from The Pond did an amazing job! That paper is adorable! I am still not about to follow you, but I just added you to my favorites bar and will keep checking back!
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete